The cables beneath have to be covered, not just to hide the wiring mess but also to protect them against moisture, dirt, and any stuff that may break the connection. For the parking brake lever, the one to do the job is the boot. The boot hides the wires and cables that connect the lever to other brake parts. If the boot is already torn, shredded, faded, or damaged in any way, it's good to know that shopping for a replacement isn't hard to do nowadays. You don't have to get the whole set. You can just buy the boot. Now, to help you pick the best among the rest, we decided to try the American Shifter Company parking brake lever boot to see if it's a worthy replacement. In this product review, we've detailed the pros and cons.
- Universal product fit
- Sold individually
- Available a in several colors
- We got neat choices for the boot, which is available in several colors. We picked a great color match for the car's interior. It blends well with the rest.
- Although we had to make some cuts to fit this in, in the end, the boot provided good coverage. It hid the cables and wires well, and it didn't affect the lever function in any way. The parking brake lever boot also didn't stand in the way of other brake components.
- The boot is rugged and sturdy. It doesn't seem like the type that would be torn easily or would fade instantly. It's able to protect the mechanisms and wiring from dirt and moisture.
- What we like about the lever boot is that it comes at a reasonable price. It's an affordable way to replace the old, torn boot without sacrificing quality and protection. It didn't alter the lever performance, and we're happy about that.
- Weeks after we installed the new boot, it still looks great as ever. It made our interior look better. We checked the cables, and we didn't spot any rust, dirt, or contaminants.
The not so good
- We can't say that installing the universal parking brake lever boot is a walk in the park. We had to cut the top end of the boot for it to fit properly, although after doing the necessary adjustments, the rest works well.
- The trim rings and mounting kit are sold separately.
What we have to say
If you're looking for a quality lever boot replacement, then this would be a good choice for its reasonable price. The only downside is that this may require some cutting and adjustments for proper fit.