When your foot steps on the gas, it draws more air into the throttle body as the throttle cable, which links the throttle body to the gas pedal, opens the valve. The vacuum created in the throttle body then pulls in more fuel to complete the mixture. If the cable isn't fixed properly, then there would be trouble with the throttle response. Sometimes, all it takes is for you to readjust this cable to restore the tension. But if this cable has been stretched too thin and about to wear out, you must not think twice about getting a new one. If you want good throttle response and for your vehicle to have smooth acceleration, then it pays to have a sturdy cable that fits the vehicle's specifications. We fixed our throttle problems using an American Shifter Company throttle cable. Here's what we learned about this product (a stainless steel adjustable tuned port throttle cable) based on our experience.
- Universal fit
- SS braided hose material
- Teflon lined
- Clevis pedal fitting
- Tuned port throttle engine fitting
- 36" length
- With a pre-stretched stainless steel cable
- Hardware included
- With a limited lifetime warranty
- This throttle cable is made rigid, so it won't break too easily even when used or strained for so long. It has good material quality. It uses an SS braided hose material. It's a pre-stretched stainless steel cable that's lined with Teflon.
- The adjustable throttle cable is quite a cinch to install, even though it's made as a universal fit. The cable includes the needed hardware for sure connection. It's also built for turned port throttle engine fitting and other specific requirements of our vehicle. The length is perfect. It's not too short or too long.
- When we installed the new cable, we did a series of tests after just to track any difference in throttle response. It wasn't that smooth at first when we stepped on the gas and accelerated. But after some time, we got what we needed: smoother acceleration. Whenever we step on the accelerator, the vehicle easily picks up speed. It doesn't surge.
- With this new throttle cable, we get to enjoy better vehicle handling and control. There's no more rough idling. The vehicle runs smoothly even at high speeds. We also noticed better fuel economy.
- The limited lifetime warranty is a plus.
- We would pick a direct- or custom-fit throttle cable anytime.
- For those looking for a more practical purchase, they may find a much better deal than this. Others, which are basically made with the same features, come at a lower price.
What we can say
For a replacement, this throttle cable from American Shifter Company is a good enough choice. It's made rigid and sturdy for the cable to endure the pressure and tension. It restores good throttle response and fixes rough idling caused by a loose or broken cable.