ARB has already established itself as a premium brand for off-road equipment. This did not stop the people behind ARB to develop products for a wider market. Newly developed ARB equipment can now be used by a wider selection of vehicles. Despite its universal application, these new gears remain true to the utilitarian nature of the brand. One of these products is the ARB back-up camera. We don't like to admit it, but there are times when we really need assistance in navigating. We tried out the ARB back-up camera to see how much help we can benefit from it. For this test, we installed it to a Ford E150, a very hefty fellow of a van.
- Dustproof and waterproof to IP6 8 rating
- High-res 3.5" OLED screen and speaker in the replacement rearview mirror
- Unique license plate mounting bracket for camera
- Compatible with Hema Navigator systems
- 160 degrees wide angle lens
- 3 years warranty
- Backing up an E150 with only the mirrors as our guide has always been a horrendous task, especially when squeezing in tight spaces. With the ARB back up camera, we were able to scale down the difficulty level of maneuvering a large van. Moving the E150 in reverse was still hard because of its size, but we managed to make better judgments relative to the hazards behind.
- Lining up our tow hitch to the trailer was a lot easier because of the ARB back up camera. We activated the graph in the mirror to help as gauge the alignment and distance of our van from the trailer.
- We liked how the monitor screen provided a good resolution of the camera feed. We believe this is a great benefit for anyone opting to install an ARB back up camera. With a clearer image, it will be easier to spot and avoid bogeys when backing up on the road.
- It could take a while getting used to the features of the ARB back up camera. Since the feed from the camera is a scaled down projection of the road, we still kept on second-guessing the distances of objects around us. As for those who have been driving vehicles with backing cameras, we don't think this would be an issue to them.
The ARB back up camera is a useful addition to your vehicle if you want extra safety. It can provide you a better view of your vehicle's clearance when backing up and driving with a trailer. However, you should note that it can take a while getting used to it if this would be your first time to use this device.