With all the modifications going around inside your cockpit, there will come a time that your dashboard becomes too crowded. This issue goes especially to Toyota FJ Cruisers. Having been patterned out of the classic Toyota FJ40 work horses, the now-discontinued SUV has a no-frills dashboard with modern touches. The problem lies with its design. You cannot do so much tweaking on the dashboard without hurting the overall look of the FJ Cruiser. With that reason in mind, off-road aftermarket equipment company ARB designed an ARB console specifically for this modern Toyota tribute. At first we were so much against the installation of the console to our FJ Cruiser. But as we explored its features and functions, we had a change of heart. Here's what we found out:
- Mounting location for CB or long range radio
- Drop down storage locker for wallets, maps, phones, and other gear
- 4 banks of super bridge LED interior lights
- Dimension does not impede aid from the rear view mirror
- We were actually happy that the ARB console became an extension of the FJ Cruiser's dashboard. Ergonomically speaking, it is very accessible despite the fact that it is hanged from the ceiling. The color and design also blended well with the interior. Despite our initial insights against it, the console did not compromise the overall look and feel of the FJ Cruiser interior.
- The ARB console came in with LED lighting. We tried switching it on after parking the FJ on a dark area. It illuminated the cabin space well without the light straining our eyes. The lights were a good addition to the cabin since we were able to move inside the FJ Cruiser better with the improved visibility.
- One of our problems with our FJ Cruiser is finding the right place to mount a radio. Fortunately, the ARB console was designed to accommodate such equipment. And when we finally mounted the radio, we found out that operating it from that position is not awkward after all.
- Despite its nostalgic appeal, the FJ Cruiser is really a crowded SUV. Now, with us installing the roof console, it got a little more crowded. If not for the functions it offered, we would have scrapped the idea and returned the roof console to the store.
Having the ARB console installed in your Toyota FJ Cruiser will affect both your rig's aesthetics and functionality. Depending on your perspective, the addition can make aesthetics and functionality work together or against each other. Despite that possible conflict, the roof console can offer you extra storage, mounting points, and lighting for your applications.