Taking your Jeep for an outdoor adventure is very rewarding. You get the opportunity to fully appreciate its capabilities and limitations. Most of all, you get to have a fun quality time with your beloved off-road machine. Now here comes the challenge. Off-roading has never been a cosmetics-savvy hobby. True, off-road machines are subjected to harsh environments that would inflict scratches, dents, and even serious damages to your rig's componentry. But these hazards do not stop an outdoorsman from enjoying the thrill of going through challenging terrains. What drives these people further is the opportunity to modify their rigs for improved performance, geometry, and structural integrity. To address this issue, we took a look at one modification that can add extra armor to your rig's drivetrain, the ARB differential cover. Here's what we found out:
- High tensile solid nodular iron structure
- Cross brace design for axle structural rigidity
- Improved support to the bearing alignment
- Low profile outside surface for maximizing running gear clearance
- High tensile cap screws for protection
- Low profile drain plug design for damage resistance
- Unique dipstick and filler cap design for customized driveline applications
- High grade neodymium magnets in the drain plug and dipstick for collecting metallic wear particles
- Color powder coated, CNC machined, then clear coated
- Corrosion-protected hardware
- The ARB differential cover was mounted without issue in our Jeep. We checked for possible leaks, misalignment, and other issues. There was none whatsoever. When we drove the Jeep out on the trail, it was running fine. There were no signs that the differential was about to give out on us. That was good news for us.
- We got our cover in red powder coat. It looks very rugged and sporty--a perfect embodiment of an outdoorsman for us. Whether you want to constantly use your rig off-road or you want to put it up in a car show, we believe this piece can be a nice addition to the components that make up your rig's ensemble.
- Installing the ARB differential cover required steps that needed a certain degree of expertise in differentials. Fortunately for us, we had mechanics trained to work on differentials and a shop properly equipped for such operation. Before working on this modification, be sure to read the installation manual carefully. If you think you lack the necessary skills and equipment, stop and have your rig serviced in your trusted 4x4 shop.
Replacing your original equipment differential cover with that from ARB has its benefits. We believe that it can offer you bulletproof protection on the underside. Just remember that despite the cover's durability, you should never put your rig to too much abuse that can compromise the integrity of your parts.