One of the necessities of off-roading is the effective power delivery. This concerns the flow where torque is transmitted from the engine to the wheels. If you are bound to go off-roading, open differentials really won't do the thing. You will be left with two other choices: the limited slip differential and the differential locker. For some outdoorsmen, a limited slip differential already suffices for their applications. However, the hard core off-roaders would opt to equip their rigs with lockers instead. We tried the ARB's differential locker called Air Locker in order to validate the reason why these guys prefer using it over limited slips. For the test, we replaced the stock differential of our Toyota Tacoma with the ARB Air Locker.
- Forged gears for strength, durability, and resistance
- Two piece case design
- Steel reinforced, elastomer-bonded annular seal
- Compressed air delivery via nylon air line
- Fully-machined, one-piece nodular iron differential carrier case
- Alloy long cross shaft
- Available in over 100 configurations
- Can be installed in the front and rear axles
- Five-year, unlimited miles warranty
- After the installation, we headed out to the nearest off-road trail. That's the place where we usually take our rigs for a dip in the mud, suspension flex, and rock crawling. As we approached the rocky part of the trail, we made a full stop then activated the ARB Air Locker. We then proceeded to our decent. As we slowly crawled through the formation, we felt that the locker kept the wheels spinning in unison. After making it to the top, we made our descent with the lockers still activated. We could say that the ARB differential locker did its job well in providing ample traction during our trail.
- Chances of us succeeding in installing the ARB differential locker by ourselves was close to impossible. Despite the lack of need for special equipment and skills, we had to seek help from a mechanic who is knowledgeable of differential lockers. That way, we were able to ensure that the differential would not damage the driveline components.
- Since the ARB Air Locker required air to function, we also had to install an ARB air compressor. Fortunately, ARB offers an air compressor specifically to address that need.
The ARB Air Locker can be a suitable modification to your rig, especially if your application demands a sturdy and reliable differential locker. This ensures better traction for your rig whenever go on your off-road adventure.