The hardy ARB differential air locker in your off-road vehicle is actually made up of several components, and among the most important ones is the ARB differential solenoid. Basically a switch, the differential solenoid turns the air locker on and off, increasing or reducing traction when necessary. These solenoids are normally included in the ARB air locker kit, although the manufacturer also sells them separately.
In this review, we put the ARB differential solenoid to the test to determine whether it is just as hardy as its differential counterparts.
- Solenoid for the ARB differential air locker
- Kit includes wire and other necessary hardware
- Limited ARB warranty
- Fast and efficient response times. The solenoid immediately activates and shuts off whenever the ARB air locker is switched on or off, allowing for on-the-fly control of the torque output of your vehicle.
- Easy to service. Because they are often used in remote, inhospitable places, products made by ARB are designed to be easily serviced on the field. And the differential solenoid is not an exception. Using only a standard screwdriver, you can quickly dismantle the solenoid, clean or repair its components, and reassemble it in less than an hour.
- Highly reliable. The solenoid has a fail-safe mechanism that allows it to operate even when malfunctioning. This can be done by removing the return spring from the solenoid plunger, causing the differential locker to engage but rendering it unable to disengage. It's not something we recommend, but it is quite helpful when you are in a pinch.
- With prices ranging from $80 to $150 online, the high cost of the differential solenoid is probably its biggest downside that we've found. But given the fact that ARB differential air lockers cost over a thousand dollars, a hundred-dollar solenoid wouldn't be much of a problem for air locker owners.
- Works only with ARB air lockers. This differential solenoid is specifically designed to match the performance and specifications of the ARB differential air locker, and using this device with an air locker from a different brand may result in a malfunction or even serious damage to your vehicle's differential.
The bottom line
Highly efficient and reliable, the ARB differential solenoid is an integral part of any ARB differential system. Though it might cost a pretty penny, it's very much essential if you want your ARB differential locker to function properly.