In addition to aftermarket parts, ARB also manufactures a line of tools that allows for easier servicing of various automotive components especially when on the road. One such tool that ARB now offers is the differential spreader tool. Designed to use with ARB's line of aftermarket differential systems, the ARB differential spreader tool enables the housing of shim-adjusted automotive differentials to be stretched in a safe and controlled manner, reducing the risk of damage to the differential and ensuring proper preloading during set up.
We managed to acquire a set of ARB's differential spreader tools and put it to the test.
- Weight: 30.6lbs
- Quickly and easily installs on most shim-adjusted automotive differentials
- Allows the housing to be stretched without causing overspreading
- Pre-drilled with a hole pattern compatible with that of most axle types
- Also suited for pre-loading shim-adjusted Banjo style axle assemblies
- Comes in a durable carry case with a dedicated powder-coated tray for easy storage and transport
- Limited warranty
- The tool can be used with most shim-adjusted differentials, including that of Banjo axles. The tool also has slots strategically located on its frame that allows it to be used with most types of wheel axles.
- Easily slides into place. We found the tool to be quite easy to install on the housing casting. We don't, however, recommend installing and using this tool if you are not familiar with the process of spreading the housing, as improper use might resulting in overstretching or insufficient preloading which, in turn, can lead to bearing or ring and pinion failure as well as oil and air leakage.
- The handy carrying case that comes with the kit makes lugging this rather heavy tool around a bit easier. The case's solid construction also makes it an effective storage unit that can protect the tool from the elements.
- With prices going at $350 on eBay and other online stores, this tool will certainly set you back quite a lot.
The bottom line
Though it is quite expensive, the ARB differential spreader is a great help in getting your differential stretched and preloaded without incurring damage. It is definitely a must-have tool for any serious 4x4 owner who often drives both on and off the beaten path.