The Australian manufacturer ARB provides automotive performance parts designed to withstand harsh deserts and other similar extreme environments, and one of the ruggedized products it offers is the ARB headlight bulb. Suitable for the headlight as well as for other types of automotive lighting applications, ARB offers a line of headlight bulbs that it claims to provide superior performance even under the toughest operating conditions. In this review, we put the headlight bulb from ARB to the test.
- Advanced IPF 100W H9 halogen bulb
- European type beam pattern paired with low beam and high beam functions
- Snap-fit installation
- Special water and dust seal for maximum life and performance
- Waterproof connectors on bulb leads
- 1-year warranty
Things we liked
- Provides a brighter beam compared to its OEM counterparts. We noticed a 30 to 40 percent increase in low beam output and a 40 percent increase in high beam range. Although this is not near ARB's claim of a 50 percent increase in both output and power from its headlight bulbs, the significant boost is certainly nothing to scoff at.
- The bulbs are extremely water-resistant. ARB claims that the headlights can survive being submerged in the water for up to two minutes. We tried this out ourselves and the bulbs did manage to survive for a minute and a half on average. From the connectors to its glass housing, this bulb is completely water-tight. It should be noted, however, that we strongly advise to avoid immersing these bulbs in water as they will eventually succumb to water damage.
- The bulbs have a user-friendly snap-fit design, meaning that you can basically snap these on the headlight and it is good to go.
- Can be used on auxiliary lights as well. ARB advertises these bulbs for use with its headlights, but they also make good replacements for your car's auxiliary lights.
Things we didn't like
- Best used with ARB headlights. We encountered some compatibility issues while installing the bulb on OEM headlights as well as those from aftermarket brands.
- The price is a bit steep but somewhat expected given the ruggedness and quality of the bulb.
The bottom line
Though it does cost a pretty penny, the increased performance and durability of ARB headlight bulb makes it a worthy addition to your car.