License plates are an integral part of your vehicles ensemble. Without it in sight, you raise a red flag and you get yourself pulled over by the cops. That's why it is your duty to keep your license plates visible at all times. However, it starts to get tricky as you modify your rig. Big wheel mounts, aftermarket bumpers, and other equipment can block the original space where license plates are mounted. There's a way around that problem. Possible solutions to your license mounting problem can be addressed with the use of equipment like the ARB license plate bracket.ARB has specifically made one devoted for 2007 to 2015 Jeep Wranglers. We went to check how it fits our own Jeep.
- Fits 2007 to 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2-door JK and Unlimited 4-door JK models
- Includes mount and installation hardware
- Complements ARB rear bumper and tire carrier for Jeep Wrangler JK
- The stock Jeep Wrangler license plate mount at the rear is located just below the left taillight. Even after modifications, it sat perfectly and unaffected. However, the ARB rear steel bumper, hi-lift jack, and chunky mud terrain tires made the Wrangler's rear felt too crowded. So after a test fit of the ARB license plate bracket, we decided to stick with the look for a few days. We thought the entire rear ensemble was more balanced now that the license plate is in the middle. Also, it made the license plate stick out, which we believe improved its visibility.
- Unfortunately, we didn't like the idea of removing the ARB license plate bracket whenever the spare tire would have to be taken out. That created an extra but unnecessary step that would make the removal of the spare tire from its mount just a bit longer. If you don't mind the process being one step longer, then good for you. But we do mind.
- Another down side of having the ARB license plate bracket is its position. By mounting your plate at the rearmost place of your vehicle, it becomes the most prone item that can be damaged during a rear end collision. And if it's a really bad collision, there is a chance that you could lose or severely damage your plate. We don't want that happening.
The ARB license plate bracket is a cool modification to have. This can complete your ARB off-road theme. However, having one should really be the least of your priorities in the modification department. And it would even be better if you can just look the other way, and use your budget in a more functional off-road gear.