The license plate serves as the car's ID on the road, and if gets lost or damaged, it could lead to more problems than just a trip to the DMV. And for owners of off-road rigs and 4WD vehicles, the problem of losing a license plate from an errant boulder, log, or other obstruction while driving on the trail is very real. Thankfully, there are so-called license plate relocation tools available that can move the license plate to a more secure position at the back of your vehicle.
One of the manufacturers that offer a license plate relocator is ARB. Sold as a kit, the ARB license plate relocator allows you to transfer the rear license plate of your vehicle to the spare wheel, reducing the likelihood of the plate getting snagged by road obstructions while still retaining adequate visibility on the road. We managed to get a hold of the ARB relocator kit and put it to the test.
- Transfers the license plate to the spare wheel
- Includes bracket and light
- Fits multiple makes and models
- Comes with a limited ARB warranty
Things we liked
- Installation is easy and pretty straightforward. There's no drilling required; all the tools you need are an Allen wrench and a screwdriver to snap and bolt the bracket into place. The kit also comes with a manual that goes further into detail on how to properly affix the bracket to the spare wheel.
- Can be used on most modern vehicles, provided that the vehicle has the spare tire mounted at the back.
- The bracket included in the kit comes with a light, which we found to be a great add-on especially since many license plate relocators being offered in the market today have no lighting options for the same cost as this product. Granted, the light is not as bright as a stock license plate light, but it does do an adequate job at keeping the license plate visible at night and in low-light conditions.
Things we didn't like
- Can be a bit expensive. The ARB license plate relocation kit costs anywhere from $80 to $150 online, which may be a bit much for the budget-conscious customers.
The bottom line
The ARB license plate relocator gets the job done with an added bonus of keeping your rear license plate well lit. But if you have some significant DIY skills, it might be more cost-effective to furnish a relocator bracket yourself.