The fog light gives additional illumination in driving conditions where added visibility is essential, and that holds quite true for 4WD vehicles. And one manufacturer that offers fog light systems that especially cater to off-road rigs is ARB.
Sold in pairs, the ARB off-road fog light provides extra illumination during foggy or foul weather conditions with a rugged design to withstand the rigors of off-road driving. In this review, we put the ARB off-road fog light to a test run to determine whether it can outshine its way through the competition.
- Dimensions: 168 168mm x 88mm x 68mm
- Dedicated fog/foul weather lens pattern
- 85W high performance H3 bulb
- Lightweight aluminum housing
- Pendant style multidirectional mounting system
- Hardened glass lens
- Snap together wiring loom and relay
- Kit also includes LED toggle switch and white protective covers
- Limited ARB warranty
- The fog light's H3 bulb provides a strong, steady beam with excellent penetrating power. We tried on this light while driving through foggy night conditions, and it provided a good view of the road ahead.
- Its solid aluminum housing could certainly take a fair amount of abuse. The aluminum is sturdy enough to withstand hits from rocks and branches, while its innate anti-corrosion properties make rust less of a problem. In addition, the housing is also dust- and water-resistant with its tight seal.
- The kit comes with various add-ons, ranging from wires to a protective cover for the lens. The protective cover, in particular, is made from high-quality injection molded plastic, making it an effective shield for the fog light's fragile glass lens.
- Replacing the bulb can be a bit difficult. ARB put so much effort in sealing its fog lights against dust and moisture that it makes the task of replacing the bulbs a great hassle. This is because in order to access the bulb, you will basically have to completely disassemble the fog light housing. So once the bulbs on these fog lights conk out, expect to spend a good chunk of your time replacing them.
- The wires included in the kit may be too short for some vehicle makes. We encountered this problem mostly in Toyota vehicles, wherein we had to use headlight wiring extenders with a male end in order to reach the correct length. We also recommend purchasing additional wiring clamps to keep the wires organized.
The bottom line
The ARB off-road fog light may be difficult to service, but its powerful beam and rugged design certainly makes up for it.