Off-roading is a real challenge. Going through the hardcore trails requires that you modify your rig already because the stock set-up won't make the cut. So what serious off-roaders do is they lift their rigs for a couple of inches, slap mud terrain tires, mount protective steel bars, and switch to live axles. To support the suspension lift plus the live axle combo, further upgrades can be mounted. One of the upgrades that you can do is to put a panhard rod. It maintains the axle within the acceptable area of play while keeping its geometry alignment in check. With that support, your rig will be able to flex its suspension without excessive play that can damage your components. But what good is a sturdy panhard rod without a proper mounting point. This is where the ARB panhard rod relocation bracket comes to play. This component is designed by ARB partner company Old Man Emu to address the growing needs of off-roaders all around the world. We mounted this component to our lifted Jeep Wrangler. Here's what we found out:
- Adjusts the positioning of the track bar to the center
- Raises the roll center for improved stability
- Engineered using Design Solid Modelling and Finite Element Analysis
- Reliable strength and durability
- Mounting the bracket was doable given that our facility was well-equipped to perform the installation. The installation of the panhard rod bracket itself only required nuts and belts torque to the correct specifications. This ensured that the bracket held its place despite the rugged movement expected during the adventure on the trail.
- The set-up that included the panhard rod and the panhard rod relocation bracket corrected the offset caused by our lifted suspension. We felt that the rig is driving straight again, and we were confident that no handling and suspension issues would come out from it.
- We drove the jeep on the trail without issue. It flexed its suspension without really having any effort. The suspension held up and we were able to finish the trail in one piece.
- Unlike with the use of leaf springs, the coil springs with the panhard rod combo had a limited lateral movement. It was more rigid to some respect but fortunately, it still performed well. It was enough to redeem itself from its limitations.
The ARB panhard rod relocation bracket can be used to support the aftermarket suspension upgrades for your rig. Just keep in mind that you have to choose the appropriate model for your application.