Taking your stock rig on a trail can be both liberating and haunting. This is the time when you realize that keeping it OE spec won't just cut it because of the harsh off-road environment. You begin your modifications by starting with suspension and wheel upgrades. It gets you an aggressive lifted stance that makes your rig more confident when driven through challenging terrains. You then proceed with reinforcing your rig's integrity by mounting steel bumpers and side rails. It improves your rig's protection from trail hazards and other road debris. What's interesting about steel bumpers is the possibility of adding a winch with less or no modifications needed. By installing a winch, you can get extra support in pulling your rig out of tricky situations. This is why ARB is an interesting choice for off-roaders. The ARB winch mount is integrated to the ARB deluxe bull bar. Let's see how rigs can benefit from the installation of this bumper packaged with a winch. We tried the combination out on our Toyota Tacoma and took it to our usual trail for testing.
- Steel construction
- Crash test certified
- Fully-engineered mounting system
- Integrated winch mount
- Powder coat finish
- The integrated ARB winch mount could hold up the heavy 140 lbs worth of winch without any issue. It was properly bolt on to the bumper so it held firm when we tried to shake it loose from the mount. Moreover, the winch sat comfortably in the space dedicated for it while it enjoyed the armor provided by the steel bumper.
- The ARB winch mount was also rigid enough to withstand all the pulling we subjected the ensemble into.
- First stop, we hooked the winch to a boulder as our rig climbed a steep ascent on the mountain side. It was successful. It allowed the rig to drive close to the intended path without fearing that it might go wayward.
- The second test we did was pulling another rig through a series of obstacles. With our slow and steady pace, we were able to pull the other rig all the way to our makeshift finish line.
- As we have noted before, adding a winch to an already heavy steel bumper could compress the front suspension a little bit more. It could distort the original weight distribution of your rig. Fortunately for us, we already replaced the stock suspension with a sturdier Old Man Emu suspension kit. Because of that, we already eliminated weight and clearance issues that the bumper might have caused.
The winch mount integrated on the ARB deluxe bumper can provide you ample support and housing should you decide to equip your rig with a winch. In installing the equipment, you should always remember to read the instructions carefully to ensure that the parts are properly mounted.