Getting stuck in an obstacle and getting out of it is one of the main challenges in off-roading. These are the perfect moments to put your rig's capabilities to the test. You begin with setting up your rig properly with mud tires, aftermarket suspension, engine and drivetrain upgrades, and protective equipment. When these modifications are not enough to get you out of your situation, this becomes the right time to put to use your recovery equipment. Aside from winches, you can also use recovery straps for your situation. ARB has dedicated effort to manufacturer quality recovery straps for your off-road application. There are three varieties of ARB winch recovery straps available at present. These are the snatch straps, tree trunk protectors, and winch extension straps. We believe that the ARB snatch strap is the most essential among the three, so we decided to put that particular one to the test. According to its brand representative, the ARB705 snatch strap is the ideal for most 4x4 applications. We decided to put it to a series of challenges with our Toyota Tacoma. Here's what we found out:
- Can hold out up to 17,500 lbs of weight
- 30 inches in length
- Made of 100% nylon
- Genuine 20% elasticity
- Reinforced eyes
- Equipped with eye and seam protector sleeves
- Woven and fabricated to ARB standards
- Tested by a NATA approved facility
- The ARB snatch strap was very sturdy and elastic. We attached it to our Toyota Tacoma to pull our colleague's Toyota FJ Cruiser in different off-road scenarios. Despite the obstacles and weight, we were successful in pulling out the truck in the following situations:
- The FJ Cruiser was deliberately driven through loose soil until it got stuck there. It required both rigs to exert effort to make it work.
- Towing the FJ Cruiser along an uneven trail as dead weight.
- We were able to use the snatch strap to tow the Ford F150 on a paved road. But the much smaller Tacoma had to gain momentum in the beginning to pull the bigger F150.
- The ARB snatch strap is more expensive than other brands. However, we turned a blind eye on the price tag knowing that ARB is a premium brand. Having already tried and tested ARB products before, we were more comfortable paying the price in exchange for a sense of security.
The ARB snatch strap is a very good addition to your recovery equipment. You can use it for both on and off road applications. And with ARB's reputation lasting for decades, you can be assured that it will perform up to expectation.