The license plate is one of the more no-nonsense parts of a car, in the sense that all it does is to display the car's license plate number. But there are accessories out there that can give added functionality to your license plate. And that's what Bargman is offering in its license plate light kits. Sold in various colors and styles, the Bargman license plate light kit provides extra illumination to your license plate, making it more visible at night and in similar low-light conditions.
In this review, we got one of Bargman's leading models, the #62 license plate light, and put it through the works.
- Mounts on top of license plate bracket
- ABS body construction
- Molded socket protects bulb from road shock
- Two wires eliminate surface ground
- Limited 1-year warranty
- 18-gauge galvanized steel bracket (optional)
- Hassle-free installation. The Bargman license plate light is mounted on top of the bracket via bolts on both sides of the housing. It took us less than an hour from unboxing to actually seeing the license plate light up. In addition, you can also choose to have a specially designed bracket included with the kit.
- The light is strong enough to make the light visible at a considerable distance. It's not too strong to become glaring either.
- The housing is made of thick ABS plastic and resists scratches and falls of several meters like it was nothing. But what makes the housing really special is it's specially molded socket, which effectively reduces vibrations caused by driving through rough terrain. Given the sensitivity of a typical car light bulb, this could save you dollars in replacement bulbs for years.
- The design looks a little dull. Bargman lights come in either white or black housing, giving us limited choices in customization. The design of the housing itself is also uninspired and juts out of the mounting bracket in a rather ungainly fashion.
The bottom line
The Bargman license plate light kit may look bland, but it works best on where it matters most: making your license plate visible. And its sturdy housing also ensures that it keeps working at its best when most of the other parts in your car have worn out. So if you are leaning more towards function than looks in an accessory for your license plate, this might just hit the right spot.