When it comes to your ride's electrical system, you shouldn't take chances as that could spell the difference between a good-working electrical component and one that's malfunctioning or working intermittently. So if you need a new circuit breaker, it is wise if you'll do a research first before making a purchase. This way, you'll be able to make a more informed decision and won't just shell out bucks for a substandard unit.
If you need a new circuit breaker to replace your ride's stock, we can be of help to you. How? By sharing with you how the Battery Doctor circuit breaker--the 80-amp manual and switchable unit--fared in our ride, so you can gauge if it fits the bill.
- Water resistant
- Panel or surface mounted
- Made of thermoset plastic
- 30 Volt DC 3,000 amperes interrupt capacity
- Complies with SAE standard JI625
- Comes with terminal cover
- Manual and switchable reset circuit breaker
- We're thankful that this is the type of circuit breaker that we chose. We're impressed that it's also capable of working as a switch. For people like us who are sometimes too lazy to disconnect the main power cable from the battery when working on the wiring, this feature becomes so helpful as it allows us to simply push the button to break the circuit. Reconnecting the power cable is also as easy as closing the circuit breaker's red lever.
- Another thing that impresses us about this circuit is if it tripped, we can reset it manually. Although we haven't experienced such yet, it is such a relief that we have a way to reset it in case of being tripped due to overcurrent.
- We're also amazed at how this new circuit breaker from Battery Doctor solved the issues that we have with our old unit.
- We also commend its terminal cover, which protects the lever and the push button from being accidentally moved or operated.
- Though it works like a fuse, we think that if what you need is a new fuse, a circuit breaker isn't a good replacement for that. It is because circuit breakers are oftentimes less reliable than fuses--they don't work as fast as fuses do when it comes to opening the circuit path.
And we conclude that...
This Battery Doctor circuit breaker is up to scratch if it will be used for its intended purpose. Its ability to double as a switch worked to our advantage. It also allows us to do manual resetting should it trip. So far, this circuit breaker has not been giving us headaches.