When dealing with solar panels and battery charges, you'd want a controller that can handle issues like overcharging and discharging of 12v batteries. We tried a solar solution from Battery Doctor to see if it has the best lineup in the market for battery products. For this review, we're writing about our experience in using a Battery Doctor solar charge controller (12V 30 amp solar regulator). We rated the battery solution according to performance, quality, price, and fit. Here's the list of the pros and cons of using this product.
- Designed for gel-cell and lead-acid 12V batteries
- Can handle as much as 30 amps of array current
- Can manage up to 500 watts of solar power
- With LED indicators that display four levels of charging status
- With an LCD digital meter to indicate the charging current/battery voltage
- We love the compact design of the solar regulator. We're able to mount it easily. It's designed to be useful and practical. It's easy to install and simple to use.
- It works great. The regulator is able to keep the 12 volt battery fully charged. It prevents overcharging and discharging. It's never been a problem the whole time we used the solar charge controller.
- It has a reliable set of features. The LED indicators tell you if it's already fully charged. This feature gives you an idea of its specific stage in charging through the LED bar graph. We can check the charging current/battery voltage through the LCD digital meter. The reading has always been accurate. We used a digital volt meter to see if the output matches, and in every test we've done, we always get a correct reading.
- It takes good care of gel-cell and lead-acid 12 V batteries with up to 30 amps of array current and 500 watts of solar power. It keeps these batteries healthy and in great working condition. It handles the maintenance well enough, making sure that these batteries will be properly charged and will last to reach their max service life.
- It offers decent performance at a competitive price. Every feature works, from the LED indicators to the digital meter and all the settings, and with how it charges and maintains the batteries, we can say that it's a dependable regulator.
- This solar charge controller lacks some of the more advanced features found in other regulators. It's easy to use and it's reliable, but this isn't the best option there is in terms of technology.
You can pretty much expect reliable battery and solar solutions from the brand. The solar charge controller does its job well, although this may not have all the advanced features of a regulator. It's easy to use and accurate. It keeps the battery properly charged. At the end of the day, that's probably all you can ask for from a dependable solar charge controller.