Whether you are living off the grid or simply looking for a backup source of power for your car, a solar charger is an enticing investment for many car owners. And if you are one of them, you'll find a sizable large selection of solar chargers to choose from in the market. Whether it is the size, wattage, or features, there are solar chargers of numerous varieties available to suit particular applications and needs of car owners.
One such solar charger manufacturer that has caught our attention recently is Battery Doctor. Known for its line of battery-related products and hardware, Battery Doctor also now offers solar panel charger panels plus complete solar charger kits for RV and boat owners. In this review, we took one of the Battery Doctor's flagship models, the 20W Battery Doctor solar charger kit, and put it to the test.
- Dimensions: 46" x 15" x 2"
- Aluminum frame with durable plastic edging
- Includes 12V socket cable and battery cable
- Rated up to 1.7 amps
- Can be upgraded to 40W system using an adapter kit
- Fits multiple makes and models
- Full manufacturer warranty
Things we liked
- The solar panel charger is surprisingly easy to set up. Simply mount the panel on a sunny area, such as the roof of your RV, hook up the cables to your battery, and you're good to go. The kit is also compatible with Battery Doctor's solar charger regulators and other related peripherals, which can significantly improve the kit's performance.
- The kit is universal design, so it can be installed on most makes and models. We still advise, however, to consult the seller to verify if your vehicle or boat is capable of using this kit.
- In addition to charging the battery, it can also be used to maintain the charge of the battery. The charger's output is strong enough to keep the battery running for long periods of time, provided of course the panel is exposed to ample sunlight on a regular basis.
Things we didn't like
- The power output is not that powerful compared to the price. At 1.5 amps, the solar charger provides a minimal charging power compared to regular battery chargers of a similar price.
The bottom line
Though not as powerful as a typical battery charger, the Battery Doctor solar charger is a good alternative source of power in times when power outlets are unavailable.