A battery switch for cutting off electrical power in the vehicle may just save your day. It can deter theft and prevent electrical fire. It also keeps the battery from draining excessively and may shut down power during maintenance. With a battery disconnect switch, you can probably sleep a little bit better at night knowing that you wouldn't have to worry too much about getting your vehicle stolen or having battery and other electrical problems. While these battery switches are made to provide all these benefits, not all are created equal or the same. When it comes to electrical components and vehicle batteries, you wouldn't want to roll the dice. To find out if a Battery Doctor switch, the 4-position Mini Master Dual Battery Disconnect Switch in particular, is a safe bet, we tried one and came up with this review based on our experience.
- For dual battery application
- For up to 48 volts DC
- ISO 8846 marine approved
- OEM models are available
- 300 amps continuous rating
- 1,000 amps/5 seconds intermittent rating
- 700 amps/10 seconds crank rating
- 10 mm stud size
- 69mm x 69mm x 75mm
- Can work with 1 or 2 batteries
- Selection includes OFF, Battery 1, Batteries 1+2, and Battery 2
- For recessed or surface mounting
- With a removable back plate
- With four mounting holes
- With access panels on all sides
- We like the compact design of the switch.
- The switch is fairly easy to install. We tried surface mounting, and this works pretty well for us.
- It just takes a while to turn the power off.
- The 10 mm studs allow good, stable connections. Everything lined up well. After securing the connection, we tried the switch and it's easily engaged. It didn't take so much to activate it.
- It's built to be effective and convenient. The studs are secured inside a removable back plate that's non-conductive. The access panels can be knocked out, and this makes way for convenient cable routing. The mounting holes also ensure easy access and fuss-free installation.
- It's designed as advertised. It's made with the right specs.
- This is manufactured to high-quality standards. The switch, after all, is ISO 8846 approved. The design is well-thought of. It's practical and efficient.
- It's highly reliable. We give it A for its decent performance. It easily cuts off electrical power and brings it back. This saved our battery from excessive draining.
- It's reasonably priced compared to other options.
- While this is a high-quality switch that works as advertised, other options provide more advanced features and better designs.
What we think
This is a winner in our book. It may not be the most technologically advanced switch, but it does its job well enough. When it comes to performance, it doesn't disappoint. It's practical because it's fairly easy to use and install and it comes with a good price.