Diesel engines these days are not restricted to hauling and other utilitarian work anymore. With the developments in improving Rudolph Diesel's innovation, modern shops are becoming more capable in tweaking the diesel engine components into making better outputs. This makes the once lumbering diesel engines perform like their petrol counterparts. Of course, there are still differences in terms of their responses, but the modifications give them an opportunity to be competitive on the strip. Extra beef under your hood is fun and fulfilling until you realize that your stock components might give out from all that power. In order to avoid that from happening while you're on the strip or highway, you have the option of replacing them with aftermarket parts. Moreover, installing more aftermarket parts might actually harness the full potential of your modified diesel engine. This is what BD Diesel is trying to do. The Canadian team came out with the BD Diesel automatic transmission assembly for performance diesel engines. We tried to match the modified 5R110 transmission with our 2008 Ford Super Duty with the 6.4-liter Power Stroke V8 turbocharged diesel engine.
- Rigid aluminum heavy-duty transmission pan
- Tighter clutch packs for quicker shifting
- Machined direct piston
- Machined pressure plates
- Machined pistons
- High-power boost valves
- Heavy-duty snap ring and blow-off valve
- Reworked front pump
- Heavy-duty regulator valve
- Upgraded supports, sprags, planteries
- Bolt-on yoke style
- Silver case finish
- 3 years or 150,000 miles limited exchange warranty, depending on which comes first
- After the installation of the BD Diesel automatic transmission assembly, our coal roller pulled away faster and made better time on the strip. We felt that the power from the turbocharged diesel V8 was properly utilized. That's a good sign for us whenever we are competing on the strip or running down the highway. At stock, the 6.4-liter Power Stroke has 350 horses 650 ft lbs of torque. Our Super Duty definitely felt a lot faster than that.
- We felt confident with the way the transmission shifted during our tests. It is already common knowledge that there might be a need for a transmission upgrade for modified high-torque engines. This was the same case for our modified Ford Super Duty.
- While BD Diesel provided a step-by-step installation guide on its website, performing the actual installation was not as easy as it was presented in the diagrams.
The BD Diesel automatic transmission assembly is a very capable transmission replacement for your modified truck. It can handle the additional torque without giving you second thoughts about your vehicle's performance.