Driving in an automatic takes away the stress from you having to row the shifter and step on the clutch pedal perpetually throughout your trip. While some may enjoy the action and full control over their trucks, some do not. Being relieved from that stress makes trucks with automatic transmissions appealing to a wide range of drivers. But we believe that knowing how your transmission works can help you appreciate the convenience it brings to you. One of the components that you should be aware of is the automatic transmission fluid. Your truck's transmission fluid is an essential component in your automatic transmission system. It acts as the medium that generates hydraulic pressure, lubrication, and cooling. That is why keeping the fluid in your transmission system free from debris is essential. A clean transmission fluid ensures the optimum performance and longevity of your transmission. We took a look at the BD Diesel automatic transmission filter kit to see how well it could do that job for us. We tried it out on our Ford truck with a 7.3-liter Powerstroke V8. Here's what we found out:
- External mount inline filter
- Adds transmission fluid capacity
- Inclusive of necessary hoses, fittings and hardware
- 98% efficient
- 25 micron protection
- Does not work on dual alternators on the 7.3L Powerstroke
- One year warranty
- BD Diesel provided a detailed instruction manual on its website. We found the steps helpful and easy to comprehend. Of course, we would expect that you also have at least a minimal knowhow on automotive tech before you perform this task by yourself. Because of our automotive background, we were able to perform the task in our own garage using the prescribed wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, cutter, and drain pan.
- Following the installation of the new transmission filter, we drove the truck without any issues. After gaining some miles, we wanted to see how the filter was doing its job. We pulled out the dipstick while the truck was parked and at idle. The fluid on the dipstick showed no signs of automatic transmission issues whatsoever.
- Unfortunately, BD Diesel has yet to come out with filters for other transmission models. During our inquiry and purchase, we found out that the company only offers automatic transmission filter kits for the Ford E4OD and 4R100 transmissions.
The BD Diesel automatic transmission filter kit can be a reliable aftermarket component for your Ford truck. If you are inclined on getting one for your truck, just remember to check its compatibility carefully.