For some drivers, having an automatic transmission on their truck is heaven sent. It takes away the need to consistently row the shift lever and step on the clutch pedal just to switch gears. However, other drivers prefer having a manual transmission because it gives them more control over the vehicle's response on the road. They can downshift or upshift whenever they please therefore maximizing the torque. These days, performance upgrades on engines can make you forget that you're driving an automatic because of the way they respond when you floor the throttle. Furthermore, technology allows drivers to have more control over their automatic transmission for the newer trucks. This is the concept behind the BD Diesel automatic transmission shift kit. Its Ford 6.4L TapShifter allows you to optimize your gears with just a tap on the lever. We installed the shifter on our Ford to see how much convenience it could provide us. Here's what we found out:
- Control lock-up clutch for pulling or dyno test
- Overdrive control
- Compatible with engine retarders
- New Ford original equipment 6.7L style shift lever
- Steering wheel wiring harness with factory connectors
- Mini / dimmable gear selection display
- Compatible with H&S, Spartan and SCT Tuners
- Plug and play installation
- The BD Diesel TapShifter worked like a charm. The column shifter that came with the kit looked like it came directly from the Ford plant. The tap point was conveniently placed on the lever without feeling out of place in the entire cabin ensemble. It was integrated very well. We gave BD Diesel two thumbs up for that.
- We did not have to wait for the truck to shift during the most awkward shift points. Shifting whenever we wanted to using the TapShifter was very much gratifying. After tapping the button, the automatic transmission immediately responded and shifted. Having that control made us feel as if we were driving a manual with a much lazier approach. It was so convenient having to shift gears as we please with just a tap. However, being more partial to manual transmissions, we really missed the coordination that our hand and feet does whenever we use stick shift.
- We actually wished that there is an option of a floor shift version of this product for other trucks. We found out that BD Diesel has been only offering the TapShifter for a few matches only.
The BD Diesel TapShifter is a convenient and reliable way of harnessing the potential of your engine and automatic transmission. It gives you a more modern control over your Ford's very capable automatic transmission.