The convenience of having an automatic transmission might fall short on providing you absolute control over your truck's shift points. There are times when it shifts when you least expect it while there are times that it takes so long for a shift to happen. Either way, that certain lag can really frustrate us especially when we want to flat out or make quick overtakes on the highway. But for us stick shift fans, there is still a small hope for the automatic transmission to redeem itself. Modern technology has allowed vehicles with automatic transmissions to shift with slight similarities as stick shifts. What's good about it is aftermarket manufacturers like BD Diesel take these matters seriously. Aside from providing performance upgrades for your truck, it also provides opportunities for us to harness the full potential of the upgrades we put into our work horse. This is where the BD Diesel TapShifter comes in. And an integral part of making this upgrade work is by using BD Diesel automatic transmission wiring connectors. We installed the TapShifter in our Ford truck. Here's what we found out:
- Attaches itself to the original equipment wiring via factory style connectors
- Matches the OBD connector without a need for modifications
- Compatible for Ford 6.4-liter engines mated with the 5R110 automatic transmission
- Allows plug and play installation to the truck
- It was fairly easy linking the TapShifter to the steering column via the BD Diesel automatic transmission wiring connector. We had no problems tinkering under the dash to connect and mount the wires for the modification.
- The TapShifter was functioning properly after installation. The indicator properly showed the selected gear upon tapping the switch. This showed us that the electrical signals were being transmitted properly to the entire system. Moving it around the garage seemed to be fine. It only left us with one last test: road test.
- The road test was such a breeze. We were able to "manually" shift the gears in our automatic transmission with just a tap on the lever. We didn't feel the engine and transmission hesitating as we hit the highway on a cruising pace followed by a series of flat outs. We also noted that the response was real-time. There were no lags on the shifts whatsoever.
- The connector only came in a dull color. We were hoping that in the future, BD Diesel could come up with other color variants. While it might just remain under the dash, we thought that it could bring a little zest in the ensemble and make it easier to spot.
Upgrading your stock automatic shift lever to the BD Diesel TapShifter can make you enjoy your truck more. If you decide to do so, go for the BD Diesel automatic transmission wiring connector as well.