Low fuel pressure can be caused by a number of factors - a malfunctioning fuel pump, a dirty fuel filter, or overheated connectors are just some of the probable culprits - but whatever the reason, this can cause havoc to your car or truck's fuel system and engine. And one of the products available right now that detects and helps prevent fuel pressure problems is the fuel pressure alarm from BD Diesel. Designed for Dodge and Ford diesel engines, the BD Diesel fuel pressure alarm kit is a simple LED device that lights up once the fuel pressure is too low.
In this review, we tested out BD Diesel's low fuel pressure alarm in our Dodge 3500 and put it through a series of tests.
- Red/amber LED illuminates during low fuel pressure
- Kit includes LED assembly, wiring harness, bezel, female blade connector, mini-fuse tapper and flag connector, tapped banjo bolt and sealed washer
- 1-year warranty on parts
Things that we liked
- Good response times. The LED lit up a second or two after the fuel pressure fell below 5psi. The LED bulb was also bright enough to be noticeable even against the various lighting in our dashboard.
- The kit contains all the necessary components and hardware needed to get the alarm up and running. There might be some slight modifications needed on the wiring, blade connectors, or washers depending on the vehicle it is to be installed in, however.
- Installation was fairly straightforward. First, we had to find an installation point for the LED - which in this case was near the auxiliary gauges at the bottom of our truck's dashboard - and drill a hole for the wire and bezel to pass through. We then inserted the wire through the hole, mounted the bezel in place with silicone, and connected the wire to the truck's power, fuel port, and firewall.
Things we didn't like
- The wiring harness is a bit tricky to install. There are basically three wires you need to connect: one for the power source, one for the fuel line, and one for the firewall. Routing to the firewall was especially difficult since we had to ensure there were no leaks around the pressure switch or else the alarm will not work properly.
The BD Diesel fuel pressure alarm kit is a no-frills device; it lights up as soon as the fuel pressure gets low. It's a cheap, simple insurance against any potential fuel-related problems you might encounter in the future.