Diesel fuel pumps sold in the market today can be roughly divided into two types: direct replacements that work the same way as the existing one in your car and aftermarket fuel pumps that provide better performance than their stock counterparts. And if you are looking for the latter, one brand that might catch your eye is BD Diesel. A specialist in aftermarket diesel engine and fuel system components, BD Diesel offers a sizable lineup of fuel pumps that can improve your vehicle's horsepower output. In this review, we tested out the High Power CP3 model of the BD Diesel fuel pump to see whether it can bring the best out of our rides.
- Replaces the OEM diesel fuel pump in Dodge, Ford, and Chevy vehicles
- Provides 72% increase in capacity/displacement
- Supports up to 700hp while maintaining 24,000 psi
- Enhanced metering unit
- New camshaft design with modified plungers and stroke
- Limited manufacturer warranty
Things we liked
- The pump runs better than our old pump on the get go. Upon installation, we immediately saw a significant improvement in our truck's fuel system. The capacity was significantly increased; we saw readings of 5.25 LPM, which is significantly higher than the 5.05 LPM output of stock pumps.
- Installing the pumps is surprisingly easy to do. The fuel pump simply bolts into place just like a regular pump would. There's no need to use dual pump system in order to make full use of this unit, and you won't have to install any additional pulleys, belts, and auxiliary pumps to deal with either. You do, however, need some experience to install this component as improper replacement of the fuel pump will result into serious problems with your truck's fuel system.
- The pump features an innovative camshaft with plungers and stroke that help minimize fuel spikes. A common problem with stock pumps, off throttle fuel spikes can potentially damage injector nozzle tips when pushing the engine more than 500hp. But this pump's specially designed components make this very unlikely to happen.
Things we didn't like
- With a price tag reaching $3,500 online, the fuel pump is expensive. But it's certainly not a ripoff as the quality of the materials and the performance upgrades that the pump provides certainly compensate for it.
The bottom line
The BD Diesel fuel pump is certainly a step up from your standard fuel pump, as it performs at a much higher level than its OEM counterparts. So if you are looking for a replacement pump and have a bit of cash on hand, we certainly recommend this unit for your vehicle.