When living in the United States, you encounter four different seasons every year. Each season has its own good and bad things but we like to believe spring has been the most ideal season to drive. However, as winter approaches, the temperature drops. In some states, winter season just means very chilly days. But in other states, winter arrives with a helping of cold temperature matched with snow. This becomes the challenge for many vehicles. Engines of automobiles rely on heat generation in order of it to function. With the cold holding back the engine from reaching its operating level temperature, running your vehicle becomes difficult, maybe even problematic. Moreover, your vehicle's electrical system capability also weakens as it struggles to provide charge. These issues can and will overwork your engine, thus reducing its lifespan along with other components. In our effort to discover ways to preserve our diesel engine components longer, we came across the BD Diesel idle speed contact switch kit. The goal of installing this product is to achieve faster engine warm-ups by controlling the engine's idle speed. Let's see what happened with our trial:
- Park brake switch
- Drive disable circuit
- Configurable idle speeds: 900, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2100 rpm
- Direct fit and easy to install
- Control knob that can be mounted on the dashboard
- Wiring the idle speed kit was not as hard as it seemed. With the help of the instruction manual from BD Diesel, we were able to locate the connecting points and perform the necessary operations. We wanted to make sure that the wiring was connected properly so we consulted with the wiring diagram and table for reference again. Upon checking and further adjustments, the component was already ready for testing.
- The idle speed switch was mounted on the dashboard for very access. We thought that the location of the switch was very ergonomic because it allowed us to manipulate the switch from the comfort of the driver's seat.
- The idle speed kit seemed to be working as we started our truck. The engine adjusted its idle speed as we switched it to the different levels, and it seemed to be working well. A 2100 rpm for an ideal speed was a little too much for us, but if could help other vehicles keep warm on idle, then why not?
- Wiring the kit could be tricky if you have not had any training or previous experience with mounting this component. We were able to perform ours in our garage because we had the right skills and equipment for the job.
The BD Diesel idle speed contact switch kit can be a suitable addition to your truck's components if you are constantly staying in places where temperature drops significantly. The five engine speeds it allows give you just the right amount of options for your specific application.