The diesel engine is the power plant of choice for work horses. Just like the gasoline engines, it is quite capable of producing superb power output given the right design, tuning and application. However, diesel engine operations differ in the way fuel is consumed to fire up the cylinders. While the gasoline engine makes use of compression, fuel, and electric spark, its diesel counterpart relies on injection and pressure to initiate the explosion needed to propel the pistons. Because of that kind of operation, the injection pump of a diesel engine is considered as one of its key components. It manages the systematic distribution of diesel fuel to the engine block. This means that it is responsible for synchronizing and supplying the right amount of fuel according to the driver's application. Its significance to the diesel engine system demands that the driver of the vehicle should take good care of it too. One measure we can do to ensure this is getting a quality injection pump cover. We took a look at the BD Diesel injection pump cover kit to see how much protection it can provide to the injection pump.
- Secure sealed connection
- Made of plastic
- Limited wire work needed
- The kit contains the following:
- Cover with nut installed
- Set screw
- Ring connector
- Jam nut
- Blade connector
- Red 14GA wire
- Allen key
- T25 torx bit
- BD Diesel provided a product manual for proper guidance during the installation phase. The manual included an inventory checklist, required tools for the operation, and installation steps complete with photos and illustrations. This was very helpful for us when we mounted the part in our garage.
- The cover could be matched to BD Diesel injection pumps remanufactured for performance. This meant that other upgrades would not be limited due to the installation of the cover.
- Aesthetically speaking, the BD Diesel injection pump cover added contrast and accent with its dark color. Almost the entire stock fuel injection pump assembly had a dull metallic finish, which is not bad at all. However, the complementing color brought some more character to the engine bay.
- While the BD Diesel injection pump cover offers quality protection and durability, the expert from the brand still recommends keeping the original equipment aluminum pump cover. But don't fret. From our test, BD Diesel's component is equally capable of doing the same task as the stock part.
The BD Diesel injection pump cover kit can be a reliable aftermarket replacement for your truck's stock aluminum cover. If ever you decide on getting one, just make sure that the part you are considering matches the engine your truck has.