Whether it's pulling a fully-loaded trailer up a hill or driving through a desert highway, heat can wreak havoc on your car's transmission. Overheated oil can damage the transmission's fragile components, which is why it is recommended for trucks that often carry heavy loads or drive through high-temperature environments to have oil coolers installed. As their name implies, oil coolers serve as radiators for the transmission, drawing heat away from the oil and keeping it at a manageable temperature.
In this review, we checked out the BD Diesel oil cooler. BD Diesel has a history of making quality performance parts for diesel engines, so we were curious if its line of oil coolers will live up to the brand's reputation.
- Accommodates 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, and 5/8 transmission cooler lines
- Aluminum frame construction
- Micro Extruded bar technology provides 22% more cooling power
- 5"-8" ports prevents inlet/outlet clogging
- Furnace brazed rails tested to 300 psi tested to 300psi of pressure
- Thermostatically controlled 80-watt, 10" electric fan
- Includes fittings, clamps, hoses, hardware, and customizable galvanized bracket
- Pre-wired loomed harness with fuse, relay, and OEM style connectors
- 1-year warranty on parts
- The cooler features innovative extruded design that has a series of fins inside the tubes. These fins greatly expand the surface area of the passageways, allowing for more heat to dissipate compared to standard cooling tube designs. The fins also break out the flow of oil into the passageways, ensuring that all of the oil that passes through is cooled.
- The oil cooler also comes with a DIY bracket kit that contains galvanized brackets, which you can modify to ensure a perfect fit for the unit. It certainly saved us time fabricating a bracket from scratch in the shop.
- The kit also comes with additional hardware such as fittings, clamps, and pre-wired harnesses; basically everything you need to install the cooler onto the truck. The harnesses also come with OE-compliant connectors for a more convenient fit as well as to provide a factory-like look.
- We encountered problems calibrating the thermostat with the cooler fan. Our first thermostat failed the first time the fan turned on, although we managed to get the problem fixed when we replaced the thermostat.
The bottom line
The BD Diesel oil cooler will definitely help in keeping your transmission from overheating, but getting it to work right might prove to be a challenge.