The oil cooler install kit is basically another type of radiator for your truck, but instead of the engine, it cools down the oil or fluid circulating in your truck's transmission. Because of this, oil coolers are essential for trucks that are used for heavy loading tasks and under high temperature conditions as these are prone to overheating and cause damage to the transmission's various parts.
One of the manufacturers that offer oil coolers for diesel trucks is BD Diesel. Designed for Ford, Dodge and Chevy trucks, the BD Diesel Oil Cooler Install Kit is a comprehensive package that allows DIYers to set up an oil cooler in their trucks. In this review, we tried one of BD Diesel's oil cooler install kits and put it to the test in our Ford F-250.
- High-efficiency micro extruded bar technology provides 22% more cooling compared to other designs
- Large 5/8-inch ports prevents inlet/outlet blockage
- Thermostatically controlled 80-watt, 10-inch, 800 CFM electric fan
- Rated at 33,930 BTU/HR and in excess of 30,000 GVW
- Includes fittings, clamps, hoses, hardware and a 'Build-It-Yourself' galvanized bracket kit
- Pre-wired loomed harness with fuse and relay with OEM style sealed connectors
- 1-year manufacturer warranty on parts
- The kit contains virtually everything needed to install an oil cooler except the tools. From the hose to the clamps, the kit has all the necessary hardware to get the oil cooler up and running in our truck. What we especially liked was that the kit included a 'Build-It-Yourself' kit of galvanized brackets, which you can customize according to the specs of your vehicle. It certainly saved us time fabricating brackets out of scrap metal.
- The tubes inside the cooler where the oil circulates contain several ridges which increase its surface area, allowing more heat to dissipate. The ridges also serve to break up the flow of oil, slowing it down and cooling it even further.
- The tubes are also made of fairly thick material, making it difficult to puncture. The frame is also made of high-quality steel and tested to withstand high levels of pressure.
- BD Diesel's oil cooler kit costs around $950 online, although many stores have cut the price by half. But despite the discount, this makes this kit very expensive compared to its competitors in the market, which usually lie around $100.
The BD Diesel oil cooler kit is state-of-the-art and contains everything necessary for you to get an oil cooling unit for your truck's transmission. But it also burns a hole in your pocket in the process.