After modifying your diesel engine and equipping it with several performance-enhancing components, it is just wise if you also add something that could help you monitor the way your diesel performs. That's where digital gauge kits come into play. Our ride is fitted with the BD Diesel X-Monitor Boost and Pyrometer Digital Gauge Kit (1080200 model), which allowed us to keep tabs on the vehicle's turbo boost pressure, exhaust gas temperature, and another value of our choice. Here's how this kit fared:
- Dash top-mount display
- X-monitor control module
- Easy-to-read digital display
- With adjustable alarms when peak values are reached
- Comes with 6ft of 1/8" air tubing
- Has control module vacuum tube boost connection
- Boost fitting for Dodge, Chevy, or Ford
- Display brightness can be set depending on driver comfort
- Includes bushing, thermocouple, and fused power wire with ground wire
- We are impressed by this pyrometer gauge as it is set to have all the programming needed to accurately measure boost pressure and exhaust temperature.
- The one we had in our Ford was the 1080200 model, so we were able to add a third monitoring value. We chose to add automatic transmission temperature using our ride's OEM sensor. The kit, however, also allows addition of remote temperature sender, aftermarket fuel tank level, exhaust brake backpressure, or fuel pressure.
- We appreciate how easy it is to read the information being displayed. Another thing we love is that we are given the freedom to adjust the brightness of the display according to what's comfortable to us. It may be as simple as that, but looking at displays that aren't glaring to the eyes contributes a lot to driver comfort.
- Installation of this kit isn't a walk in the park, and it takes enough know-how of the engine and other vehicle systems to get it right. Based on our experience, the process is time consuming since after all the components have been installed, we still have to program the X-Monitor to match the application that will be monitored.
Our final thought
Vehicle owners like us who are looking for ways to keep track of the important applications and measurements in their diesel engine will surely find this BD Diesel X-Monitor Boost and Pyrometer Digital Gauge Kit a great buy. We give it two thumbs up as the model we've chosen even allowed us to add another value. We chose the automatic transmission temperature among other values. Though installation is a bit painstaking, all our efforts have been paid off as the kit started to work, providing us with the readings and warning we so badly need.