Diesel vehicle owners have some common wishes for their ride, and one of them is hassle-free shifting when pulling, passing, climbing a steep terrain, or whenever they need to quickly change gears. But most of them desire for some more and that is to have the control over their truck's transmission right at their fingertips. If you are among them, there are now tap shifters that will make your wish come true. In fact, our Ford truck is already fitted with one--the BD Diesel Shifter (the 6.4L TapShifter kit, in particular). We'll see if it's up to scratch.
- For 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L Powerstroke
- Ensures easy plug-&-play installation
- With mini/dimmable gear selection display
- Comes with new Ford OE 6.7L-style shift lever
- Overdrive control for street or towing applications
- Works well with engine retarders like BD Diesel's VVB
- Control lock-up clutch for pulling or dyno testing
- Allows easy access all 5 gears with a tap of the finger
- Cannot be shipped to California due to CARB regulations
- Includes steering wheel wiring harness with factory connections
- We are impressed by this shifter's compatibility with stock applications and other add-ons like engine retarders. We tried it with our BD Diesel engine retarder, and it indeed worked well. We also didn't have any problem in making it work with our tuner, even if they aren't of the same brand.
- We're so thankful that in either towing or street application, this TapShifter kit has overdrive control, so we didn't need to worry about having to do some adjustments on the setting before hauling or driving in city streets.
- We appreciate the kit's dimmable gear selection display because depending on the interior lighting and the driver's vision, there may be times when the display is too bright for us to clearly see what's being displayed.
- At a price of more than $520, this shifter may not be that affordable for some Ford owners.
- California residents won't be able to install it in their ride as it isn't compliant with their strict CARB regulations.
What we have to say
If you own a 2008-2010 Ford truck with 6.4L Powerstroke, you are not a California resident, and you want the control over your transmission to be right at your fingertips, this BD Diesel TapShifter is perfect for you. Though it comes with a hefty price tag, we think that won't matter much as it has its own way of repaying you and that is by giving you easier gear shifting during difficult situations like when hill climbing, towing, or passing.