To move tons of metal on the road, the engine doesn't just need to create massive amounts of energy. Transferring it to the right gears to translate power into motion is also crucial. From the engine to the axle and into the drive wheels, power must be transferred through your car's transmission. The transmission assembly will take power from the source and move it into the axle. It reduces the rotational speed as needed while it increases torque. The transmission has several gears and shafts in the works to come up with the needed speed and convert torque from the power source. This assembly of parts includes the transmission input shaft, which follows the same rpm as the engine when rotating. Different gear ratios are then applied to this shaft by the gearbox, which enables a lower rpm at the output shaft. When this input shaft gives in to wear and tear, vehicle transmission can go out of sync. This will bring the engine's performance to the ground and may result to its utter failure. We're here to find out if the BD Diesel transmission input shaft can be the best fix in case the old shaft wears out. Here's our review:
- Made of billet
- Brand new
- For 94-07 Dodge Cummins with 47RE/47RH/48RE transmission
- This transmission input shaft is a perfect fit to our Dodge's transmission assembly. We have a 2007 Dodge Cummins with 48RE transmission. Installing this input shaft is quite easy because it complies with the engine requirements and transmission specs. We didn't have to adjust anything.
- The shaft works well with the rest of the transmission assembly. It works just like the stock. It restored good transmission performance. We didn't have trouble with shifting gears or running the vehicle. After we installed the shaft, we noticed some difference in performance. Transmission is more responsive; engine performance is smooth.
- The input shaft is made of a high-quality material. The billet shaft is sturdy. We expect to get good performance and longer life from this new shaft.
- The higher price, compared to other input shaft options from other brands, can be a bit of a turn-off.
At the end of the day, we can't say that we have any complaint about the input shaft. We're able to test the transmission on a wide range of driving situations and road conditions. The transmission performance is consistently good. The engine runs smoothly.