When starved with fluid, your car's transmission can easily turn into a hot mess. Temperatures may rise quickly, leading to a burning heat. The hot transmission can be likened to a volcano, which may erupt and wreak havoc on your driving. To keep enough stock of the cooling fluid, the transmission pan, which works like a catch basin and safety container, should be free from leaks. If it's already fractured and broken, there's no sense holding on to it. But if you're going to replace your good ol' transmission buddy, it would have to be one that can handle the high heat, intense pressure, and harsh environment. For our Dodge, we picked the BD Diesel transmission pan as a replacement. The details of our experience are here:
- For 1989 - 2007 Dodge 5.9L
- Compatible with transmission type 47RE/48RE/47RH
- Built as a deep sump transmission pan
- Made of aluminum
- In black wrinkled finish
- Includes a drain plug
- 1 qt. more capacity than the stock
- Sold individually
- This is an upgrade, not just a replacement. The transmission pan can store more oil/fluid than the stock, adding 1 quart to the normal capacity. With the increased capacity, a higher volume of cooling fluid can be stored, and this will prevent shortage. The steady supply of cooling fluid will help prolong the life of transmission parts.
- A hard-wearing pan is just what we needed, and we got one from BD Diesel. This pan is made of cast aluminum, which not only makes it sturdy but also helps in handling high temperatures and dispersing heat faster. The fins do a fair share in keeping temperatures low. The pan, with its wrinkled finish, proves itself to be a solid case. It won't flex or break easily even under high torque loads because of its quality material.
- Everything works. Nothing is out of place. The pan, even with its added capacity, is made to fit our Dodge perfectly. It's a great match for the type of transmission used in the vehicle, as well as the engine specs.
- We didn't have much trouble fitting in this deep sump transmission pan. We handled the installation of this pan well because it simply fits.
- Trouble with shifting gears and effects of faulty transmission in vehicle performance are all fixed when the new pan was installed. There are no more leaks.
- This transmission pan isn't your best option if you're looking for a more budget-friendly replacement.
- It would be better if this comes with gaskets and other components like a temperature sender bung.
What we think
This transmission pan didn't come complete with gaskets and other components, but when it comes to quality and performance, it's highly dependable. The additional 1 qt. in its capacity is a plus, although it would be better if there's more.