While the turbocharger bearings are designed to resist oil contaminants, high-thrust loading, oil supply delay, and hot shutdown, they can only tolerate so much. Frequent shutting down of the engine after a hard run can still take a toll on the bearing, resulting in localized overheating and other types of bearing damage. So if you have that hot shutdown habit, you had better protect your turbo with a cool down timer or cool engine shutdown module with alarm kit.
The turbocharger of our diesel-powered Ford is fitted with the BD Diesel turbo timer alarm kit, specifically the Cool Down Timer 2. Let's see if it's worth recommending.
- Works with any K-Type EGT probe
- Comes with new installation features
- Works with automotive security alarms
- With adjustable shut down temperature setting
- Five-minute timeout and quick shut down functions
- New design for improved troubleshooting ability
- Includes detailed installation instructions
- Can't be shipped to California due to CARB regulations
- With the installation of this cool-down timer, we no longer need to guess when it is already safe to turn the engine off. You can't just imagine the peace of mind it gives us knowing that even if we leave the engine on to continue providing the turbocharger with engine oil, it will automatically shut down when it reaches the shutdown temperature that we've set.
- This is particularly useful to us since we already have a pyrometer gauge on our ride, which also comes from BD Diesel. From the day we had this cool down timer installed, there was never a time when we encountered compatibility issues.
- Due to the states' strict CARB regulations, it's sad that this product cannot be shipped to California and used on CA-licensed vehicles. This can be enjoyed, however, by owners of diesel-powered vehicles from all 49 states.
- This kit doesn't come cheap, especially in our case because we availed of the optional Amber LED alarm kit. So if you are on a tight budget, it may not be the right time to get this add-on.
Those non-California residents who are looking for a way to extend the life of their diesel vehicle's turbocharger and have extra bucks to spend shouldn't hesitate getting this product from BD Diesel. Though price is a bit steep, we think it will pretty much pay for itself by protecting your turbocharger from premature damage and untimely replacement. With its amazing features and all the benefits you'll enjoy from this, we can say this product is truly worth a shot.