Changing your vehicle's brake caliper is one way to keep yourself (and everyone else) safe on the road. When a brake caliper becomes stuck, it increases the risk of road accidents. We installed the Centric brake caliper on our 1990 Honda Civic Si to find out if it makes any difference in the braking power of our vehicle. Here's what we found out.
- Front, driver-side location
- Remanufactured OE replacement
- Semi-loaded type
- Comes in natural finish
- With anti-corrosion coating
- Pressure tested
- Tumble blasted with steel shot
- Comes with mounting hardware
- Backed up by a 90-day or 3,000-mile Centric limited warranty
What we liked
- It's very easy to install. For someone who has good car mechanical skills, all it takes is 15 minutes per wheel to mount the new caliper after the tires have been removed. Bleeding would take another few minutes, but the installation itself does not require much effort.
- The caliper has a zinc coating, which helps prevent corrosion. Little things such as that matter since it gives a gauge on how long the part will perform. So far, this brake caliper has remained rust free.
- It improved the braking performance of our relatively old, but trusty Honda Civic Si. The caliper doesn't stick, so it doesn't affect the performance of other brake system components.
- Compared with other brake calipers of the same type, this one from Centric is more inexpensive. Other brake calipers are sold for over a hundred dollars--we got this one at half the price.
- It's very durable. We this brake caliper for a while, and we're very happy with its performance. Since it's long lasting, frequent changing of calipers is not necessary.
What we didn't like
- Brake pads are not included. It would have been great if there's no need to make a separate order for the pads.
- It's remanufactured, not brand new. This isn't exactly a disadvantage. However, some people prefer new car parts to remanufactured ones.
Our final say
Despite being remanufactured, the Centric brake caliper remains true to its promise of giving high-quality braking performance. We love the fact that it doesn't cost as much as other semi-loaded brake calipers found online. The caliper doesn't include brake pads in the package--not a big issue, but having brake pads included saves more time and money. If you're looking for something that's brand new, this caliper is perhaps not for you. You can find new ones from the same brand on your local auto parts store or online.