We wanted to give our pickup truck a nice lift, some allowance for bigger tires, and good off-road performance. For these modifications, we tried out the MaxTrac suspension lift kit to beef up the off-road capabilities of our Dodge Ram. We gave this fairly new brand of suspension parts and lift kits a try to see if it would be at par with industry standards and can compete with other better-known labels. After lifting the truck a few inches off the ground, we took it out for a drive for a series of tests, on the street and the terrain. Here's what we learned after a few runs on the road.
- Provides a 2.5-inch lift
- In black powdercoat finish
- Can accommodate up to 33-in. diameter tires
- Available as direct bolt-on upgrade
- Comes with shocks
- Features sturdy spindles
- Made in the US
- Offered with a lifetime MaxTrac limited warranty
What's great about the kit
- The lift allowed us to fit in larger tires, up to 33 inches in diameter, as advertised.
- With the suspension lift, our truck got an enhanced performance in dirt tracks and did well in mud, deep snow, grooves, and rocky terrain. We particularly noticed better traction in wet/sloppy road conditions, which is a huge plus for off-roading.
- The elevated suspension suited our truck really well. It gave the truck a sportier look and rugged 4x4 appeal.
- The kit included all the hardware we needed for fuss-free installation, which took us several hours. It requires direct bolt-on installation, after all.
- The shocks included in the package are a good match to the rest of the suspension system of the vehicle. We did the right thing getting a kit that included these suspension parts. The ride was not the smoothest we had, but it was okay. It wasn't that bouncy or rough.
- The spindles are way better than the ones originally installed.
- We prefer this kit than the drop-down bracket types in terms of look, performance, and stability.
- The lifetime MaxTrac limited warranty is a good thing to have if testing out a fairly new brand.
What's not so good about the kit
- There's a change in ride quality. The ride wasn't as smooth or soft as before. It wasn't that bad, however, if you can deal with truck-like handling and performance.
- It's not the most expensive in the bunch, but we think it's not as competitively priced as we wished it would be.
What we can say about the kit
Overall, we can say that this is a good kit to try for truck mods and suspension upgrades because of its solid quality, good fit, stable performance, and great looks.